Council Votes To Retain Current EMS Service

admin's picture

After hearing a lengthy committee report by council representative Darryl Anthony and a brief presentation by committee member Charlie Greene, the council voted unanimously to keep the Cordell ambulance service as it is now operated.

The vote came at the meeting of the council on Monday, September 18, 2017.

Anthony’s report followed two committee meetings, one on August 20 and another on August 28.

Other committee members included council representatives Loretta Waddell and Vona Hicks and Cordell Memorial Hospital (CMH) administrator Landon Hise.

Greene, former CMH administrator and 25-year EMT, said he had reviewed the proposal by Miller EMS and he advised he did not think going with Miller was a good idea.

Anthony’s report indicated it would be costly to the City to accept Miller’s proposal, which would probably require an increase in the ambulance fee of approximately $3.25 a month to a total of $9.75 per month.

Greene had stated during the committee meetings any outside service would likely be too expensive.

When given the choice between keeping the ambulance service as it is now operated, bringing in an outside operator and increasing the monthly ambulance fee, or dropping the service completely and depending on the service from another community, the council voted unanimously to keep the service as it is now.

In the only other items of voting business, the council approved the financial reports and expenditures for Period 2 (August, 2017) and the Social Media Policy for the City.

No bids had been received on replacement of the roof on the Washita County Museum. City attorney Johnny Beech advised the City could enter into a contract with any roofer licensed to work on a commercial structure.

The council met for an hour and a half in Executive Session to discuss the employment of City Administrator J.C. Moser but took no action after convening back in regular session.

Council representative Steve McLaughlin inquired about department reports, including specifically from the Code Enforcement department, and was told there were none.

A phone call to the City office on Tuesday, September 19, confirmed De’Lanea Hiskett, code enforcement officer, had resigned.

A brief discussion followed an inquiry by council representative Cheryl Wedel regarding the property at 221 North Market, declared a dilapidated building at the August 21 meeting of the council.

Moser said the owner had not responded to a certified letter sent providing him ten days for an appeal and 60 days to make the house habitable.

Wedel also inquired about the proposed lease of a building from CKEnergy. Moser said the cooperative’s attorney was drawing up a lease but it had not yet been submitted.

The next regular meeting of the council is scheduled to be held on Monday, October 2, 2017.