John Ray Sears

Edgar's picture
On March 3, 2014, John Ray Sears was called home by his Heavenly Father. By his side, at the time of his passing, was his loving wife of 51 years, Jan. John was born into his earthly world on June 16, 1938, in Cordell, Oklahoma. The son of Raymond and Edith Sears, John grew up in Cordell, but spent much of his formative years at the family farm, helping his uncles in the wind swept wheat fields of Kiowa County, or just visiting with his Grandmother on the front porch of the family home. John graduated from Cordell High School playing football and basketball, and participating in numerous school organizations. From there John went to Oklahoma State University, his father a proud alum, to pursue his higher education. John was in Stillwater for a brief time before realizing he wanted to be closer to home. He transferred to Southwestern Oklahoma State University, where he received his degree in Marine Biology in 1960. Once John graduated from College, he took a job at a Federal Fishery in New Hampshire. However, once again, the pull towards home was strong and John accepted a job with the United States Food and Drug Administration as an Investigator. At the same time his career was beginning, John married the former Janice Miles in November of 1962. The young couple began their married life in Dallas, Texas, where they were blessed with three sons, Scott, Todd and Matthew. John took an offer of transfer in the summer of 1970, to Tallahassee, Florida, where he would remain for many years. While working and raising his family, John began a second career as a volunteer with the local youth athletics. John spent many years as a volunteer with the Tallahassee Parks and Recreation Department, mainly as a Supervisor of youth flag football, baseball and soccer leagues. John spent countless hours in this endeavor and touched many lives with his dedication to the program. As his boys got older however, John shifted his volunteer hours to the high school where his three boys graduated, Lincoln High School (LSH) in Tallahassee. John spent over twenty years helping out the athletic programs at LHS, including being the Friday night “Voice of the Trojans.” In addition to all of his volunteer time, John was a long time season ticket holder at the Florida State University (FSU), where his love of college football was transferred to his three boys, who all attended FSU. John retired from the FDA in 1995, after 33 years of service. John and Jan returned to Cordell, where they were welcomed back into the community as active members of the First Baptist Church. John was an avid reader and kept in good shape as he took long walks and spent time helping out at the Crooked Creek Golf Course. John is survived by his wife and three sons, sister Mollie, two daughters-in-law (Angeline and Christy), six grandchildren (Tyler, Austin, Luke, Savannah, Campbell, and Madison) and numerous extended family. He will be fondly remembered by all. Services for John were held at 2:00 p.m., March 7, 2014, at First Baptist Church,under the direction of Musick-Varner Funeral Home. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the building fund at the First Baptist Church in John’s name.